CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
1.1 General Overview
Supermarket management system is the system where all the aspects related to the proper management of supermarket is done. These aspects involve managing information about the various products, staff, managers, customers, billing etc. This system provides an efficient way of managing the supermarket information. Also allows the customer to purchase and pay for the items purchased.
This project is based on the sales transaction and billing of items in a supermarket. The first activity is based on adding the items to the system along with the rate which are present in the supermarket and the name of the items which the supermarket will agree to sell. This authority is given only to admin (administrator). Any modifications to be done in the item name and the rate can be done only by admin. He also has the right to delete any item. As the customer buys the products and comes to the billing counter, the user is supposed to enter the item name he purchased and the quantity of the item he had purchased. This is not a huge task.
This study is to produce a software which manages the sales activity done in a supermarket, maintaining the stock details, maintaining the records of the sales done for a particular month/year. The users will consume less time in calculation and the sales activity will be completed within a fraction of seconds whereas manual system will make the user to write it down which is a long procedure and so paper work will be reduced and the user can spend more time on the monitoring the supermarket. The project will be user friendly and easy to use.
The system will display all the items whose name starts with the letter selected by the user. He can select out of those displayed. Finally a separate bill will be generated for each customer. This will be saved in the database. Any periodic records can be viewed at any time. If the stock is not available, the supermarket orders and buys from a prescribed vendor. The amount will be paid by deducting the total amount acquired in the sales activity. Admin provides a unique username and password for each employee through which he can login.
1.2 The Modules of Operation is stated below
- Employee:When a new employee joins the company, his record is saved in the database.
- Items:Here the Admin can add any new items present in the supermarket. He also has the right to modify or delete it from the database.
- Registration:As soon as the employee joins the company, the admin provides unique username and password to him.
- Vendor Order:If the stock is not available, the supermarket orders and buys from a prescribed vendor. The amount will be paid by deducting the total amount acquired in the sales activity.
- Stock entry:The items bought from the vendor will be entered here and this will be added to the stock.
- Indent Report:This provides the report of the items sold for a particular month/ year and also gives the total amount acquired.
- Vendor Report:This provides the report of the items bought from a vendor for a particular month/ year and also gives the total amount spent.
- Display:A user can view information regarding Items present in the supermarket.
- Logout:This module allows the user to Logout the application. Further operations cannot be performed after user exits.
1.3 Function of the System
- This system provides list of various products
- There are various brands information along with the additional details
- There is one important functions provided where the information about the staff can be maintained.
- There is database connectivity provided where each customer detail has been stored.
- The system Provide functions of editing customer details.
- Its Provide functions of editing product details.
- Its Provide functions of editing staff details.
1.4 Statement of Problem Being a Computer Science student I have to go into the business department to learn some basic sales and supermarket management topics to increase my intellectual understanding on the project at hand it was really tasking. Building a standard Supermarket management system was not an easy task looking at the problems of existing manual system
The factors for these difficulties are:
- Time Consumption: Manual systems are time consuming, as the business owner must keep track of Supermarket sales on a daily basis, while updating the system manually at the end of the day.
- Poor Communication: A manual Supermarket system requires employees and managers to write down each time an item is removed from the Supermarket. If one employee forgets to mention that the last Sugar product has been removed from the Supermarket, a manager expects the item to still be available for a customer during a sale. Compared with a technical Supermarket system, a manual Supermarket system does not help the communication in the workplace.
- Physical Counts: A manual Supermarket system does not provide any number, as all numbers from the Supermarket are gained through physical Supermarket counts. One of the difficulties of running a manual Supermarket system is that physical Supermarket counts must be performed frequently to control the items in the Supermarket. This is time consuming and can cost the business money, if employees must come in to help out outside of business hours.
- Daily Purchases: Keeping track of daily purchases is another difficult controlling measure with manual Supermarket systems. A manual Supermarket system requires the employees to write down the items sold during a single work day. This can be a difficult task, as one employee may lose the list of items sold or another may forget to write down a sale.
- Ordering Supplies: A manual Supermarket system does not update at the end of the day with updated Supermarket
1.5 Aim and Objectives of Study
Aim of study is to design a Computerized Supermarket Management System to ascertain stock level of a supermarket, when to order for more goods, keep status and updates of transactions, thereby helping progress level, stock taking and managerial decisions,.
The objectives are to;
- Study the functions of Supermarket management system.
- Explore the challenges being faced by the manual system.
- Make a software fast in processing, with good user interface.
- Ensure accurate number of product item that are available.
- Have easy record of goods in store and proper identification.
1.6 Scope of Study
This research work covers stock control, management and tends to correct anomalies in Supermarket business. It analyses opening of new stocks, stock updates and ability to view existing ones. It provides quick way of operation by capturing the manual process and automating them. This project is helpful to computerize the item transaction, sales activity record keeping which is a very huge task and maintaining the stock
1.7 Limitation of Study Due to time and basic factors like unstable electricity, poor networks, unavailability of concrete business idea and many more this research has been limited to certain areas in supermarket management we only looked more into the supermarket inventory management area using MYSQL, Visual C# and Visual Studio.
1.8 Definition of Terms
- MODULES: This can be described a search of a set of standardized parts or independent units that can be used to construct a more complex structure, such as an item.
- ADMIN: This is the administration of a business, organization,
- USERNAME: This is an identification used by a person with access to a computer, network, or online service.
- PASSWORD: This is a secret word or phrase that must be used to gain admission to a place.
- VENDOR ORDER: This is a commercial document used to request someone to supply something in return for payment and providing specifications and quantities;
- INDENT REPORT: This contains Orderfor goods (placed often through a local or foreign agent of a foreign supplier) under specified conditions of sale, the acceptance of which by the supplier (or the agent) constitutes a contract of sale.
- MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO:Visual Studio (VS) is an integrated development environment (IDE) is a set of tools in a single application that helps you write programs.
- MICROSOFT C#: Microsoft C# (pronounced C sharp) is a new programming language designed for building a wide range of enterprise applications that run on the .NET Framework
- MYSQL:MySQL is a freely available open source Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) that uses Structured Query Language (SQL). SQL is the most popular language for adding, accessing and managing content in a database. It is most noted for its quick processing, proven reliability, ease and flexibility of use.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, iProjectMaterials.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. iProjectMaterials.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on iProjectMaterials.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.