This topic treated in this project is “The impacts of motivation a key factor for higher productivity: a case study of Ecobank Owerri, Imo State”. This topic is very vast and one cannot claim to have treated all the aspects of the literature covered the topic within this skeletal outfit. It attempts to identify the various census of low workers performance in Nigeria. It also attempt to identify the various measures adopted by the company in motivating their workers and to established the relevance or otherwise of the measures. The aim is to ensure that only measures relevant to workers performance in Nigeria are adopted. This is to ensure cost impact.
Methodology: The method adopted in this case study is the c case study method. Consequently, a typical workers territory (Ecobank) was selected for the study. The research instrument used include self administered questionnaire and oral interviews. Analytical techniques comprising of simple tables, percentages and chi-square were also used. The target population management and relevant staffs, customers and distributors in the selected company.
Findings and Conclusion: The study found that workers were encounter varying problems, which range from ordinary workers related problems in such areas as prospecting, presentation, objection handing and so on, to management problem such as arbitrary increase in prices. From other department which render vital complementary and ancillary service to the workers department such as delivery and maintenance services. It was also observed that low educational qualification of most workers adversely on performance. It was also observed that training, incentive pay schemes and management assistance in solving workers related problems act as motivators to workers people.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of Contents
- Background of the Study
- Statement of the Problem
- Research Question
- Objective of the Study/Purpose
- Significance of the Study
- Scope of the Study
- Limitations of the Study
- Definition of Terms
- Definition and Theories of Motivation
- Overview of Workers
- Overview of Performance
- Formulating Company Strategies
- Workers Objective and Tasks
- Performance of Workers Training
- Compensation and Motivation of Workers
- The Benefits of Motivating Workers
- Performance Evaluation and Supervision
Research Design and Methodology
- Research Design and Methodology
- Sources of Data
- Method of Data Collection
- Sampling Method/Techniques
- Validity and Reliability of Measuring Instrument Validity
- Method of Data Analysis
Data Presentation and Analysis
- Presentation and Analysis of Data According to Questions
Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
- Summary of Findings
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The word motivation comes from Latin word MOVERE, which means to move. It is a general term that refers to all those inner forces as desires, drives, or motives, wishes and so forth which kindle, direct and sustain behaviour towards a goal. To be able to motivate people, managers must do those things that satisfy these forces so as to induce individual to perform.
Over the years many psychologist and scholars have put forth several theories of motivation. Most of these theories have move people to contribute in various ways in bordening management understanding towards accomplishing goals and objectives. And many of the available theories of motivation (Douglas McGregor etc).
In an attempt to evaluate and break the complexity in the process of motivation has called for the study of “the impact of motivation a key factor for higher productivity” with Ecobank Owerri Imo State as a case study.
The Ecobank is a public limited liability company, was established as a bank holding company in 1985 under a private sector initiative spearheaded by the federation of West African Chambers of Commerce and Industry, with the support of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
In the early 1980s, the banking industry in West Africa was dominated by foreign and state owned banks. There were hardly any Commercial Bank in West African private sector. ETI was founded with the objective of filling this vacuum.
The federation of West African Chambers of Commerce promoted and initiated a project for the creation of a private regional bank institution in West Africa. In 1984, Ecopromotions S. A. was incorporated. Its founding shareholders raised the seed capital for the feasibility studies and the promotional activities leading to the creation of ETI.
In October, 1985, ETI was incorporated with an authorized capital of US$100 million. The initial paid up capital of US$32 million was raised from over 1,500 individuals and institutions from West African countries. The largest shareholder was the ECOWAS. A headquarter’s agreement was signed with the government of Togo in 1985 which granted ETI the status of a non-resident financial.
ETI two specialized subsidiaries
Ecobank Development Corporation (EDC) and process international. EDC was incorporated with a broad mandate to develop ECOBANK’s investment banking and advisory business throughout the countries where ECOBANK operates.
EDC operates brokerage houses on all 3 stock exchanges in West Africa and has obtained licenses to operate on the two stock exchanges in Central Africa. The Douala Stock Exchange in Cameroon and the Libreville Exchange groups information technology function with a view of ultimately centralizing the groups middle and bank office operation to improve efficiency service standards and reduce costs.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
Some of the problem observed in Ecobank Imo State are stated below. But for more understanding and clarity, we will summarize the major problems of motivation in Nigeria with more attention to Ecobank Imo State.
- The management inability to describe properly the task to be performed by the workers inadequate job description workers training before pushing them to the field to go and sell for the company.
- The workers in most cases suffers from low moral. This can be caused as a result of discovering for themselves the true position of thongs in the field due to the present economic and numerous sitting of workers people.
- There is increase rate of dishonesty and disobedience amongst the workers who are doing everything to survive the hard times.
- There is also the problem of the Second tier Foreign Exchange Market (SFEM) flexibility or rather variation in terms of the company importation of its roofing sheet (product).
- At times, it could be revealed that in one questionnaire the possible outcome of this problem can be traced to changes in the relation to (Price, Place, Product and Promotion).
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
Since the time of twentieth century, the phenomenon of motivation has been the subject of considerable and extensive study of theorists and researches in a number of disciplines of this span of time, a number of distinct perspective or approaches has been favourable. The study has a broad objective of investigating the impact of motivation on workers performance in Ecobank Imo State. The specific objectives are stated as follows:
- To ascertain the various causes of low performance of the workers in Ecobank Plc Owerri.
- To determine the extent of the relationship between motivation and productivity.
- To ascertain the extent of relationship between job satisfaction, motivation and productivity.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
- To what extent is the level of low performance of the workers in Ecobank Plc?
- To what extent is the relationship between job satisfaction, motivation and productivity?
- What are the causes of low productivity of the workers in Ecobank Plc Owerri?
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The researcher is focused on motivation and its impact on performance. Sequel to this typical organization (Ecobank Plc in Owerri Imo State) has been selected for study since the study focuses mainly on workers profitability. The target population is workmen and workers manager.
This study will look at the sale job and some programmes on performance or measures designed to motivate the workers in a typical production and sale force, training the workers evaluating the performance of their supervision. Furthermore, formulating workers objectives and task and establishing workers structure and size.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be of great benefit to the staff and management of Ecobank Plc Owerri. Also it will be of benefit to both government and private business in Nigeria. The work will serve as a further research material to researchers.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In the course of this study, the researcher encountered lots of constraint which includes:
- Time: There was no insufficient of time to carryout this research such a enough time
- Finance: Also a great threat to this study because of this nature require large funds which could not be obtained.
- Academic Workload: Academic workload was another limitation of this research work due to the nature of our lecture from Monday to Friday which provides little time for student to go for the information needed for the research.
- Availability of Information: The major limitation to this study are access to necessary related information due to the organizational set upon employee want to be involved for the fears of queries from superior officers and maybe subsequent termination of the job.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
The terms used in this study which have unique meaning that could be subjected to this project report are defined as follows:
- Joint Consultant: It is a process or machinery set of motives for labour and management to sit together and iron out their problems or differences.
- Management: This is a set of group of people that occupies the high posts or problems in an organization. They controls and take decision concerning an enterprise or business in other to achieve the organizational goals or objectives effectively and efficiently.
- Organization: This could be defined as a social and economic entity in which different individuals perform a variety of functions in other to achieve their goals.
- Relation: It is the art of relating or interacting between a thing or people of relative quality or combination.
- Productivity: Productivity can be seen as t he ability of something, person or group to produce its designed effect or achieve its objectives effectively and efficiently.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, iProjectMaterials.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. iProjectMaterials.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on iProjectMaterials.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.